Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Sony TC-500 tube tape recorder

Hello. I wandered over from my usual haunt of tubes(diy) because I thought this group might be more appropriate for this topic.
Found a Sony tube powered TC-500 r to r at a garage sale this morning for $5. When I plugged it in when I got home, the left channel was playing fine but the right channel was muted. Went through it this afternoon and cleaned all the pots and tube sockets and checked the tubes. After playing it for a while the sound started coming up in the right channel. Must have taken a while for the caps to reform in the old girl. She is starting to sound pretty good now.
Ok, so I would really like to have a tube powered R to R to go along with all my other diy tube gear. I was able to download the manuals for it from vinyl engine and was thnking of making a winter project of going through it completely, but I am wondering is it worth it?
Anyone here happen to be familiar with this unit or similar units? Are they worth the time it would take to service and refurbish them?

Edits: 08/28/15 08/28/15 08/28/15 08/28/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Sony TC-500 tube tape recorder - vinnie2 15:38:56 08/28/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.