Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: So this EE Says...

"but the largest variable in any equasion still remains.... The listener
So next time you are exoperementing, and come across what sounds good, Go with it."

Now I'm confused....
I have a question... What does "sounds good mean?

From a post below..
"Ask yourself, "what was it about the sound that made me feel so good when I heard it?" and work backwards from there."

My question here is, what sound? The sound you may have heard live, un-amplified, while the instrument was being recorded. Or the reproduction?

If I spend time seaching out chances to hear live, un-amplified music and THEN ask myself "what was it about the sound that made me feel so good when I heard it?"
I now have a basis for determining how well my system is doing.
If, on the other hand, I only listen to playback systems, I can only say which playback system gives makes me feel good.
It may be that REAL instruments heard live, without microphones,amplifiers and speakers don't sound good to me at all.

Please understand I am talking about accoustic instruments here.
I love electric guitars and the like, but I would never judge a system by a recording of such. Well, if I knew the circumstances of the recording...Fender Tele thru a Fender twin...I know what that sounds like.. but still there are tone controls etc....

My main point... If this hobby is about reproduction, we need to know just what we are trying to reproduce...and if we fine no joy in what was recorded and are trying to make a reproduction of the recording of a sound that we didn't like in the first place better than real....
Then I agree with the EE. But, to me that's not Hi-Fi, that's puting a sound system together that makes good noise. It's a production system, not a reproduction system.

but if the listerner liked what was recorded and knows what made it sound so good to him when he heard it live, then he is equipped to judge which system is doing a good job at reproducting the original sound and which system is not. Seems basic to me.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still working the problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: So this EE Says... - Tre' 02:53:31 08/10/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.