Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Few highend preamps in my experience have invert switches nt

Hi Mark.

So, you still listen to mono records! You must be some connoisseurs who still backtrack music of the good old days. No wonder you like to have a preamp with a mono switch, or even hi-cut & lo-cut switches
to remove the noise of the old old recordings. Very hard, if not impossible to get such 'obsolete' features in 'modern' amps these days, unless you go for amps of vintage years back to 60s. But then, there will be some dramatic trade-offs sonically. I won't touch those old timers without major DIY overhauling.

One solution is to simply add a DP/ST toggle switch, at the back of
your existing pre-amp, to bridge up the L/R channels for playing those old recordings, be them monaural LPs or tapes. No big deal.

In fact, I still listen a lot to some good AM broadcasts of oldie music, & taped them off on stereo cassette tapes. I don't need any mono switch as I have no problems with those 'modern' recordings.

My LPs collection (not many, quite a few hundreds only)_are ALL stereo format. To me, only stereo recordings, not monaural nor 5.1/multi-channel digital formats, can satisfy me with the closer-to-real sonic perspectives I pursue.

Like my antique radios, I also collect historic stereo LPs. Mind you, those oldies sound pretty good, recorded back in the tubes-only analogue era with the traditional two-microphone technique. That's why.

Here, I want my readers tour back 50 years with me, through the historic LP, packed in an entirely golden coloured sleeve, which I picked up quite unexpectedly, from a local Goodwill store two years ago. I think it could be a very first stereo LP in the market:
a "Spectrum Stereophonic Recording" label, released in New York in 1958. It was recorded by a then revolutionary "authentiphonic Stereo Process" under the engineering auspices of some big-shot, Dr. Harlow White, who pioneered the "independent impulse stereo record cutting" technology in 1936. He reportedly developed this record cutting know-how after A.D. Blumlein, who publicly demonstrated his world's first stereophonic record in 1933.

Some stereo record history flashback! Sound interesting? The music is one of my favourite classical piece: "Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto in B Flat Minor", performed by The Royal Farnworth Orchestra, conducted by Warren Edward Vincent, & soloist: Jean Bargy.

The sound? Pretty good. The background is surprisingly quiet (master tape hiss & vinyl noise are not noticeable). Airy & dynamic. What impresses me most is the effortless rich bass that I can't find in many modern LP recordings. I paid only 50 cents for it!

It again, confirms my impression that a lot of old recordings sound
better than today's LPs digitally recorded.

Back to my less-is-better straight-line concept. Surely I won't recommend you to enjoy music using a pre-amp loaded with knobs & buttons, however functional they may be for your work. I would use
a 'straight-line' pre-amp strictly for music listening, & acquire a features-loaded vintage amp, after major sonic upgrading, for dubbing work.

"Simple nothing is always better than inadequate something".

Good listening.

cheap-Jack
Aug 26, 2003.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Few highend preamps in my experience have invert switches nt - cheap-Jack 11:36:58 08/26/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.