Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I'm Learning to Hate SAE

I've now had 4 SAE pieces in for cleaning, two tuners, a preamp, and an integrated. These things were obviously--painfully obviously--designed with no regard for serviceability.

The worst of the lot was the little 2900 preamp equalizer. To properly clean this unit would have required an estimated 6-8 hours in disassembly and reassembly. The pots, switches and sliders are cleverly (?) mounted on a board that has two boards, on at the top and one at the bottom, soldered to it in about 20 places. "All" you have to do is desolder the boards, clean the controls, and meticulously resolder. I didn't do that. I got to the controls I could, and pretty much doused the rest in contact cleaner, hoping that some would get into the controls. The results were a vast improvement, but not perfection. There's still a little noise on the balance control. I advised the customer that the improvement is great, and the cost for additional improvement would exceed the value of the piece. He concurred.

Both tuners are labeled digital; neither is. They are analog tuners with digital frequency displays.

The integrated amp required a ridiculous amount of disassembly to properly clean, but I got it done. At least it didn't require desoldering. I'd like to meet the design engineer who was irresponsible for the 2900 preamp and maybe give him a piece of my mind, since he clearly has none of his own.

BTW, neither tuner is particularly sensitive or good sounding.

To think I lusted after this stuff in the 70s.

So tell me, is this common in SAE equipment, or did I happen on the worst examples of an otherwise fine manufacturer?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - I'm Learning to Hate SAE - Lee of Omaha 09:07:58 07/01/11 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.