Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

what's the difference between 'hot' and 'neutral' in 240v AC power?

Why would it be bad to reverse the 'hot' and 'neutral' leads to an electrical outlet?

The reason I ask is the following:

I have just moved to New Zealand where there is 240 volts coming out of the wall, but unlike in Europe, you do not have a choice as to which direction the plug goes into the wall.

In Europe, there is also 240v, but which way to plug an applicance in is not crucial, i.e., the appliance works either way.

Here in NZ, I'm using a NZ power cord to a EU power strip with an IEC outlet, and all my European equipment plugged into the power strip.

Why is there a distinction between 'hot' and 'neutral' when the appliances'/audio equipment transformers seem not to really care?

I'm aware that there is a method for getting the phase right when plugging in audio equipment, that it has to do with lowered potentials from the return signal path to ground, and that supposedly correctly plugging in an audio component makes it sound better. But I have yet to prove to my own ears that this is true. ANd I have yet to use any electrical appliance that didn't work either way.

So, what IS the difference between 'hot' and 'neutral' when using 240 volt AC power, and when does it matter?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - what's the difference between 'hot' and 'neutral' in 240v AC power? - Tom Schuman 18:52:26 06/19/11 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.