Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Are There Any Honest Audiophiles Left?

It seems like 'scoring' and counseling people on how to commit what is effectively theft and/or bragging about it seems to be an integral part of the vintage audio hobby.

Do you agree or disagree?

Are there just a few bad apples out there that are ruining it for the rest of us? Or is 'scoring'-by any means necessary-up to and including pilferage a key fundamental defining characteristic of this hobby?

Case in point. The admin on another popular forum suggested to a member who received a damaged piece of gear that he quietly 'help himself' to a piece of it. Even though the claim with both the seller and the shipper had been settled with the buyer receiving full reimbursement. And was simply waiting to have the damaged item picked up.

The argument was made that "well it was going to be tossed anyway" and "it's a hard to obtain part that's irreplaceable".

So are we entering a truly murky area where principle trumps honesty if not legality?

The admin on this site was called out on it with a local penal code statute cited.

The post in question immediately disappeared.

What kind of message does that send to the rest of the group?

So back to my original question. Where does one draw the line with ethics, morality, and honesty in this hobby? Do they even exist at all or is it every man for himself and 'anything goes' and 'do unto others before they do unto you'?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Are There Any Honest Audiophiles Left? - X-2000R 09:02:13 10/24/14 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.