Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

Caution Dealing with AA Member DexysMidnightRunner

Bought a Clearaudio Signature cartridge off AA classifieds, advertised as needing a retip. I asked for a description of its damage, and if the cantilever is still there. Was told that the diamond fell off during playback. I purchased the cartridge and sent it to a new retipper that is recommended on the vinyl page here. Upon inspection it was determined that the cantilever is fractured where the diamond mounts, and a coil is broken.

Traded emails with Mark, and he suggested it going to Peter at Soundsmith, which I agreed with. When Peter inspected he said the cartridge is non-repairable. Now coil break and cantilever fracture is not consistent with a diamond falling off due to loss of bonding agent. Mark is not returning emails, as I had purchased this for retip only, had no intention of trading in for a new Clear Audio. I strongly suggest caution in dealing with DexysMidnightRunner, for if your deal goes sideways there is no indication it will be made right.

For reference here is the ad.

Clearaudio Signature phono cartridge - "needs re-tip"

Wonderful cartridge, but now needs a re-tip. Suchy symmetrical cross-coil design gives it a unique shape. A leap up from his earlier designs for Goldmund, and (to my ears) superior to the comparably-priced current Clearaudio line-up. "With a Soundsmith or vdH retip you'll own one of the greats for a tiny fraction of its original cost." See TAS review in #100 for the details.

I will pay for shipping in the US via Priority Mail at my asking price.

Reasonable offers considered - but please, no low-ballers.

Comes with original box and packaging.

Regards
Mister Pig

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Caution Dealing with AA Member DexysMidnightRunner - Mister Pig 16:29:48 12/11/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.