SET Asylum

Listening to my New Korneff Clone 45 SET Amps .................

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ SET Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I arrived home from the winter this week and immediately unpacked my Custom 45 SET Amps from Tube Audio Labs.

I wanted a Jeff Korneff Clone Build. I had not seen a Mono Block Version of this Amp, so I contacted Min Yang of Tube Audio Labs to do a Custom Build last fall. Min had built quite a few Korneff Clone Stereo Amps, But had never built them in a Mono Block Configuration. So, I went 'All Out' with Hashimoto Transformers, Mundorf Silver Oil Caps, Cardas Connectors etc.... Min was very easy to work with, as he let me design a Chassis Layout of the Tubes, Transformers, Hum pot and all of the connections on the back of the Amps. -- Mirror Image etc. I got to select a Walnut Hammond Chassis as well.

When I first hooked up these Amps on my System, I adjusted the Hum Pots, so that any noise from my 115db Oris Horns was only barely audible by sticking my Ear into the Horns.... These Amps were the quietest amps, I've had Hooked up to my Oris Horns.. Almost Dead Silent.

Since I Bi-Amp my System, I had my Bass Amps (Which are hooked to my Khorn Bass Bins) Balanced with my Welborne Star Chief 45 Amps. To my Surprise, The Bass was overwhelming at first. I had to drop the volume of the Hypex Amps by 17db from the Welborne Amps to balance with the TAL Korneff Amps.

So, now I have got pretty well matched and 'dialed in' and am now enjoying these Amps.... So, the Korneff Design is everything that people say it is... I am enjoying them immensely... And I will also say that the Welborne Star Chief 45 Amps are 'In the Same League'.... I could not pick one over the other ....Yet (Maybe in a few months - They are both lovely 45 amps) .... The TAL Korneff Design has a simpler circuit and is Tube Rectified. The TAL Korneffs are much quieter at idle than the Welbornes (Probably Less Power) Maybe only about 1.5 watts instead of 1.8 on the Welbornes. (I Don't know for sure).

I have been Hooked on the 45 'Amp Sound' now for about 18 years.... And These Amps 'Fill the Bill'.... I highly recommend Tube Audio Labs and Min Yang if you want the 'Amplifier of your Dreams' and a Custom Build... I am wondering if I have one of the only Pairs of Jeff Korneff Clone Monoblocks??

Follow Ups: