SET Asylum

RE: Almarro

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ SET Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Ozzy I have to agree with Triode-Kingdom having lived in China and now Hong Kong that much of the Chinese made stuff is really poor.

Line Magnetic was the first Chinese company that changed my mind but even here I made damn sure to open the case and look inside. But you'll notice that it isn't sold at bottom basement prices either. LM is out buying the critical parts from - umm guess who - Japan and Germany.

The brothers at LM were smart and said hey we are in the business of restoring Western Electric and we can make quality transformers but pretty much everything OTHER than the transformer and the case is bought bought from Germany (caps), volume pots (Japan) etc.

But some of the other brands from China are pretty abysmal looking. I saw a Ming-Da amplifier using RudyCom caps instead of Rubycom - (I guess the guy making the fake caps is dyslexic.

Oh and when you find out eventually the company uses a bunch of fake parts - they just change their name from Ming Da to Mei-Xing.

I think it's somewhat unfair of Triode-Kingdom to condemn all China amps for being dreadful. They're main market is their home market and they have to sell to what the people can afford. They can then sell a better product to more affluent markets.

China isn't killing Japanese products or European products because the Chinese are targeting people who generally can't afford the higher priced Japanese and European products. At the lower end many of these Japanese and Euro brands are already having their stuff (hush hush) built by the likes of Shengya, Jungson, Spark, and Line Magnetic etc.

Vincent is made by Shengya
Triode Labs Japan is made by Line Magnetic
Grant Fidelity Rita is made by Jungson.
And on and on.

And hey what about the American BS companies like Theta Data - these guys buy a $299 Laserdisc player put the entire machine including the case inside their own crappy US sheet metal box and one $25 (ahem) SPDIF connector and charge 10 times the money. Talk about COPYING!

And this is just the one that got caught. How many don't get caught.

Follow Ups: