Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Tube matching in SET amplifiers

Thanks to the awesome people on this forum and others I was able to unravel some of the mystery surrounding my Catskin SET amp. It will be some time before I really understand how it works, if I ever do. In the interim I'm building a system around it and looking into how to support it for the long term.

My question is about the importance of tube matching between left and right channels in SET output applications. Intuitively I can see the importance in a push-pull driver, but L-R? The Catskin amp designer's shop had all of the instruments necessary for matching all important characteristics of tubes, but when I grabbed the spare tubes for the amplifier, there weren't very many. As in, not enough of a sample to easily find a match. I've gone through the exercise of matching transistors and that can take dozens to hundreds to find a pair that is close. I assume that there is similar difficulty with tubes.

The Catskin amp has bias and flux measurement outputs via a DIN connector on the rear of the case. Is this all that is required to balance left and right?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Tube matching in SET amplifiers - Whats-a-vacuum-toob? 07:48:36 09/27/21 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.