Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Budget speakers to pair with SET amp

Hey all,

Noob here.

I recently inherited a Catskin SET amp with 6P36S, Russian driver tubes. This was custom-built by a guy that knew exactly what he was doing. He was also meticulous to a fault. So I have a high degree of confidence that this amp is of the highest caliber.

I'm an EE by trade and I understand the fundamental physics involved in vacuum tube operation, but not much of the finer points of actually building something with them. This includes speaker matching.

I understand that doing a SET amp any kind of justice requires pairing with a very high efficiency speaker. Herein lies the rub. I'm really choking on the $4k-$10K prices of these speakers and the bewildering array of speakers available. Not all high-efficiency, of course.

What I'm asking for is some guidance and recommendations for something in the range of $300-$600, or to set me straight if nothing suitable exists at a lower price point. Pun not intended.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Cheers!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Budget speakers to pair with SET amp - Whats-a-vacuum-toob? 10:11:12 09/16/21 (49)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.