Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Final Word - This Amp is a Keeper

Hello to all, I picked up one these amps. Very nice indeed. I replaced the 6P3S-E (good sounding but tested low, Russian 6L6 equivalent) with a vintage, smoked glass, made in USA, RCA 6L6G. I also replaced the 12AU7 with vintage RCA clear top 12AU7. Regarding the bias, I communicated with the manufacturer in China via email. They recommended 100mA of bias for the 805 tubes. They instructed that this is to be measured (as equivalent mV on your multimeter, of course), with the RCA input cables removed, placing one probe (+ive red) between the two 47Ω resistors and the 1Ω resistor and placing the other probe (common black) on the chassis common ground terminal or the speaker common black terminal. I used probes with a spring loaded hook, which look like small oscilloscope probes, which "stay" on, so I don't have an accident, and took my time adjusting for the 100mA. I had the amplifier on its side, with the transformer casing resting on a book.
I really enjoy the sound this amplifier makes and consider it a great deal in audio. It is far more full than 300B SE designs and more refined than any push pull I have owned to date, and I have owned quite a few.
I hope I have provided some useful good info here, if you still have this amp, that is.
Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Final Word - This Amp is a Keeper - jandroutsos@hotmail.com 13:23:28 04/16/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.