Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

A tale of two amps

I've got a couple really great amplifiers here now - a Croft Series 7R and a pair of Antique Sound Labs 845 SETs.

They are both fed directly from a PS DirectStream DAC and driving Art Dudley's (RIP) Quad 57s (fully rebuilt by the master at Electrostatic Solutions).

(I sometimes bi-amp with a Marchand XM66 and two large REL subs, but did not for these comparisons).

For those not familiar with the Croft, it is an evolution of his groundbreaking OTL all-tube designs. A zero-feedback triode input stage drives a single pair of MOSFETs per channel.

I cannot pick a "winner." Many of the differences are what you'd expect from raw specs, especially the far wider bandwidth of the Croft. The Croft is faster and has a somewhat lower noise floor. Tonally, they are most similar using the ASLs' four-ohm transformer taps. Even then, the Croft has "more" treble, or sounds it.

In almost all ways, the Croft seems superior. And, believe me, it's a fabulous amp.

But the SET has two qualities that continue to draw me in:

- Midrange palpability - and the ability to differentiate textures - seems slightly superior

- The amps' treble seems a bit more pure.

Now, naysayers will say that the SETs have loads more low-order THD which makes mids sound rich, and that I simply prefer a rolled-off treble. But I see issues with such analysis.

First, the midrange is not really "thicker," but just a bit more - alive.

Regarding the treble, the Quad ESL has about the most pure and natural treble one will ever hear. That membrane has no bad habits. So it doesn't seem to wash that more extended treble would sound unpleasant or poor.

I am tempted to believe that there will always be some artifact of push-pulling a signal and that treble is where it will be most audible.

Two things are for sure: The human brain's auditory system is extremely sophisticated, and this hobby has nearly inexhaustible potential for interest.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - A tale of two amps - PaulF70 12:31:15 02/14/21 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.