Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Looking inside

Out of curiosity I looked at some of the photos of the undersides of these Douk amps and I am intrigued. Instead of looking at the 300B amp, maybe the much less expensive EL34 amp might be a possibility. Douk appears to sell it as a kit and as a finished product. There are photos and links at the bottom of the ebay link that Travis provided.

It looks like it would not be too difficult to upgrade the caps and resistors. It appears to have a CLC power supply with a tube rectifier. Presumably the power transformer is big enough to supply sufficient current.

Presumably the output transformers are the real weak point. However they appear to be of a reasonable size compared to the power transformer, even larger than the Edcore GXSE series. If you didn't worry about ruining the look of the amp, upgraded transformers could be installed.

Presuming the design is competent then this EL34 amp might be a decent sounding amp and could be upgraded relatively easily.

ray

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Looking inside - RayP 09:03:03 06/26/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.