Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Been thinking about this. Would you pay for a music/audio channel?

I worry that, as artisans die, their knowledge dies with them. Who wouldn't love to know that the art, craft and science of the leaders behind Miyabi cartridges or Fi amps lives on? Who wouldn't want to know how to wind their own Partridge or Parmeko style transformers? I would! How great would it have been to have a short film and interview with Don before he passed? How many other digital histories are we missing/losing?

What we have are lots of blogs, forums and review sites. Some basic editorial, mostly given to ranting about this or that (digital or analogue). We also have whole tube ecologies in companies like Bottlehead which foster a sense of communnity (around their products). And it should be noted that younger audiences are much better at building their digital communities than we are (headphone set, and so on). I still think there is room though.

But we're missing out. We're not using the internet fully to our community's advantage. What we *dont'* have, which is what you get at meetings of ultra-fi enthusiasts, are things like:

background stories on audio/engineer artists
a glimpse of the unusual collections of designers
theory and practice in design
construction techniques and lessons
transformer winding lessons
power supply theory and designs
vinyl cartridge building/re-building lessons
tube theory, with simple circuit design and PDF downloads
horn theory, with demonstrated DIY techniques

and so on.

Effectively, we need a channel - perhaps by subscription - that is sufficiently broad enough in interest, and that would pay for editorial to be shot and produced, with series of content dedicated to the above and more. A bit like the folks at cycling.tv, who decided to launch an online channel for the worldwide community of cyclists because they weren't being served by normal providers.

Surely, if we have a community of those who can afford the luxury items of today, we can find a way to generate content online that is more up to date, relevant and that would *bring in new audiences and customers*. How cool would it be to be able to replace long-lost parts with 3D printing? Or revive and re-examine engineering techniques from a century ago?

Some argue that to do the above is to remove the market from existing business. Many others more successfully argue that to grow the market and build demand creates new business and sustains our hobby more effectively over the long term. It builds resilience.

If anyone's listening, I have more than 10 years content/TV production experience, as well as teaching experience to bring to bear! Also have a producer buddy with 25 years experience (BBC, Discovery, Al Jazeera) looking for new and interesting things to do. Anyone ready for some market disruption? :^)

Big J

"... only a very few individuals understand as yet that personal salvation is a contradiction in terms."

Edits: 06/12/17 06/12/17 06/12/17 06/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.