Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: 300b set versus 300b parallel set

It largely depends on the quality of the transformers and the designers and the parts quality elsewhere.

I am fortunate that the Audio Note dealer in Hong Kong is the biggest of this brand in the world so you can hear the same amps with the same parts quality in both regular and parallel.

So the Quest is a 9 watt 300b monoblock and the Conquest is a parallel 300B and they have a single tube 2A3 mononoblock and the Empress 2A3 parallel monoblocks. And they have stereo power amplifier (one box) versions of both. And the prices are about the same for each same type amp (300b vs 2A3) and very likely using the same parts in terms of chassis, wiring, caps, resisters and transformers. So unlike comparing one brand that simply may be much better than another - here you can compare the same level of competency in design and the same level of parts.

The fact that any given 300B from a good designer beats an incompetently designed 2A3 maker - may give people the idea 2a3 is worse when no it may be that the latter is just a lousy amplifier.

Comparing apples to apples makes more sense.
The 2A3 parallel from AN has big bass and body and sounds FAR more powerful and textured than the same maker's 300B. It's not close. The Empress reminds me of listening to the Jinro 211 or my now sold LM 219IA (845) - huge balls, big sound. But it is more upfront. The 300B is tender and sweet. What you like will depend o what you listen to. I prefer the Empress because it will play all my recordings from sweet to trance/house. The 300B (and AN's 300B is far more powerful than most 300B amps I've heard) is classier perhaps but less full bodied. A veteran audiophile noted that when I am 60 I may come full circle and prefer the 300B. I think there may be something to this.

I just find parallel seems to grip better - not so much about power but about control.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.