Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: My 3 years to the goal of the non-compromise SET and still learning..

aknaydenov,
Your post certainly started an interesting discussion, MQ Mike, JR, Dave S and others all talking to each other and us, it was both entertaining and thought provoking. At least until, it turned into ego/ideology driven bicker fest full of straw men and appeals to authority. I guess each reader just has to decide what is signal and what is noise, and procede from there.

I spent the last couple decades working on clinical research trials. I am currently an investigator on two DB treatment protocols and I can tell you that this field in general is so filled with under powered, poorly designed and above all else, biased research designs that virtually half (I am being generous here) of the published reviewed research finding are crap/false. Proof of this claim? Just look at the pattern of subtle, secondary non-replications (and these are just from the findings that are published, to say nothing about the non-published non-replications). My point is that the appeal to traditional "science" (the scientific method, study design, academic credentials, peer reviewed publications, the whole kaboodle etc etc) as a holy grail which tramples over any empirical experience is not as compelling to me as a scientist as perhaps it should be or once was (back when I was a young, bright eyed scientist just starting my career). At the most basic level, once you have heard a difference (regardless of the underlying origin for this result) between A and B in your audio system, you are sort of screwed arent you? I mean, we can't just turn that off and pretend it did not happen right?
I don't have the time (or frankly the inclination) to test the direction of all the passive components in my audio system, but I enjoy hearing about your findings in this area. I have compared cable direction and like most DIYers, I have spent time comparing the results I get from differing caps, resistors, circuit topologies etc. I really LIKE the sound of my system, such that endless tinkering is somewhat a matter of diminishing returns for me, but I suspect I could make it better if I could but find the time and energy . But I applaud those that do take these extra steps, you have taken your passon to another level and that is very cool. Food for thought!

Happy listening and Happy New Year.

Edits: 12/31/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.