Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Right. Now explain that to your buddy Dennis!(nt)

This is a good discussion and shows first rate intelligence on your part.

I'm not perfect. However, I think you've missed something really important here. (God knows I've done that too!).

I get major changes in sound qualities in an amplifier by changing the length and diameter of conductors-- in increments as small as 1/4 inch. MAJOR. When I say "proven"-- one can hear these changes every time they're made-- there's simply no question to anyone present while the changes are being made..

That is why, when I first began posting a few years ago-- on TUBEDIY-- I rated layout and wiring of an amplifier near the top in priority. This was to allow one to get lead lengths right.

Good engineers have posted-- and I know many more who do not post-- that ground systems and ground planes in circuit board layouts are always markedly inferior to good hand-wired circuitry.

This is not always true! A really good circuit board engineer will build boards that are pretty darn good. But, sooner or later, the engineer, no matter how good, will simply run out of choices on a circuit board-- some things will have to be placed at the wrong placements and wrong lengths.

This is where the same genius can work wonders with hand wiring. He will be able to place every part, every wire- right where it belongs. He'll redesign the entire amplifier chassis and parts placements to get it. He will also be able to relate lead lengths to actual function, and then redesign layout again in order to accommodate that, ALSO accommodating all else that was learned before that.

In the end, a balance will be achieved that is the best that one can do with what's available-- and the problems and materials at hand.

That this greatly outperforms anything else is self-evident to those who are in the Lab-- observing the results-- and to users who have bought the product. To us, it's proven.

To an outside observer, you might want numbers and theories-- which you may call "science"-- but I think that most of us realize that we are all scientists-- the best of us are also empiricists-- in the full meaning of the word.-- What works is what works.

I know I keep repeating this Company ad-nauseum on here, but it's appropo nevertheless. CAT equipment-- especially dozers.

These guys are great engineers, but the way they design is they do the best they can, and then issue prototypes to the meanest and stupidest users they can find-- backed up with super-intelligent bosses who know what's going on on their jobsites.

CAT is observing. As things break, as they underperform, as they make PEOPLE MAD--- CAT fixes them as they occur. The end result is really great dozers.

Porsche does this also. The various Porsche Clubs drive, play, and race in Porsches. Over the years, the users kept refining the product. Hey! It's a blast to drive!

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.