Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Priceless

Think long and hard before selling your John Hogan 300B amp. The chances of getting a replacement after you have "sellers remorse" are slim and possibly non. I think the number of JH amps created is around 200, so the number is very limited and most owners love them. In my opinion, they have been undervalued in the market. Perhaps it is because of their funky appearance, unorthodox use of vintage PP OPTs, lack of design schematics, or because John is no longer around to give advice on them. Another reason is that there are so few of them, that not many people have had a chance to hear them. The rich mid-range is magical.

You should ask yourself what is it about the amp that is not meeting your needs and expectations. Are there characteristic about it you find unacceptable? Is there some replacement amp out there that you feel will do a better job for you? Maybe you are just getting that itch to try something new.

One thing about JH amps is that they are sensitive to tube choice. They are a tube rollers dream because they are very revealing. I hear differences when swapping rectifiers, drivers and output tubes. I would suggest you do some tube rolling before you decide to sell.

Finally, consider getting a sub woofer to fill in the bass that your C&C Abbys are not giving you. I have heard the Abbys with the Bailey sub and it was a killer combo. I don't think you necessarily need a C&C sub. I really like REL subs, as they use either high level or line level inputs and are very easy to adjust. I use the high level with SET amps and it does not have any impact on the amps. You can get a new REL T3 for about $400 or find a used model. A sub is a good investment for any SET amp lover, as very few speakers will give killer bass with low powered amps.

I would think you could get anywhere from $1,500 on up. If you do decide to sell it, I would do an auction because these are so rare, and, although there are probably not a lot of interested buyers, those that are will be highly motivated. As they should be.

Finally, thinking of whatever price you might get, consider what you could get to replace it with those funds. Remember that having volume controls means you do not need a preamp, so you need to consider that cost as well.

I have owned several John Hogan amps, and I have sold some. But, I have always kept a 300B and a 45, so I am still happy. Best of luck on this momentous decision you have to make.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.