Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: A Vote for Bottlehead and EML 300Bs

Good questions. I was using a very high-quality James Burgess 45/46 stereo amp and only bought the Paramounts because I got a great, local pick-up deal on them (I had no intentions of replacing the Burgess amp). However, the more I listened to the Paramounts, the more I was impressed.

This was a surprise because I was prejudiced against the Paramounts for several reasons. First, I have not liked most of the 300B amps that I have heard. Also, it's been drummed into me that you had to have AC heating of the filaments and tube rectification for best sound - neither of which the Paramounts use.

The pair I acquired was a very early pair that was built by an Electrical Engineer. I liked their sound enough to start investing more money in them. They already came upgraded with a large Mundorf and two small V-Cap capacitors each, so I purchased the V1.1 soft-start upgrade kit and had it professionally installed.

Then came upgraded power cords, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Ericsson 2C51 input tubes and bi-wire speaker cables. They were really sounding good at this point, but the final piece to the puzzle was upgrading to EML solid-plate 300Bs.

With the EML 300Bs, I now have superior response at the frequency extremes, nothing like the classic 300B sound with weak/bloated bass and poor high frequency response. Also, the reproduction of certain sounds like saxophone and vocals are exceptional. I know it’s a cliché, but I really can make out the words to songs much better with the EMLs.

Even though I got a great deal on the Paramounts, I ended up spending quite a bit of money to put this altogether (this also includes the purchase of an Eva 2 LDR passive preamp). However, it's been well worth it. I feel the Paramounts, as configured with the upgraded tubes and caps, provides the best combination of attributes from the Burgess amp, my previous Fi 2A3 monos and several other amps I have owned.

Gerry

Edits: 02/19/12 02/19/12 02/19/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.