Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

2 stages High Power SE

Hi!
My friend has just showing me a fellow in other forum named Dowdy has buit a 2 stages GM70, and I saw his amp on youtube as well. And the other guy has intended to build also GM70 with Emission labs driver tube DRD coupled to GM70 with step up input transformer.

Maybe you are correct about the distortion issue from big triode, but doesn't mean 2 stages is impossible to work on big triode. Especially all Emission Labs's driver tube are DHT, and DHT driving another big DHT triode is pretty interesting if the quality of the step up input transformer can do their job well.

I read something about Dowdy's amplifier as this is a 2 stages with some big tube at front and parafeed. A pretty interesting approach as well. look, the most expensive Audio Note amplifier is a 211 driving by 10Y with "step up", and the LAMMM GM70 SE.

IMO, whether owning those amplifier is suicide is another issue. I used to build 845 back in the 90s with my best friend and never got it right since we have to parallel and series the lytic caps in the supply. We tried different circuit including the Audio Note Ongaku and Gakuon.

I'll not say big triode never sounding any good since I have listened to some fellow putting exotic double C amorphous output transformer made in Europe, I guess a company called AE along with high quality oil cap with 2KV rating, sounds pretty damn good. It sounds very different between those low powered and big triode.

Don't you know that running the big triode in low voltage making the driver stage more tuffy to drive. It requires much lower impedance.......so many things going to happen!! And the distortion retains on high side if operating at low voltage on 845 or 211. Why not just put a 300B for low voltage??

I also heard the people say the difference between graphite and copper palte from GM70. Well....they also sound very different. I don't build anything since the late 90s cuz getting older. But I highly respect those tube builder's "attempt" on big triode and the refinement they've done.

Nice talking to you!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.