Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Tube Rolling In th AES SE-811....the Sylvania Story

Recently I inserted soem sylvania 6sn7(50's vintage) and sylvania 5881's into the pre driver slots of my amps. The replaced the stock soviet tubes that the unit came with. The amp took on a very very different character. The sound beame alot more transparent, quicker, less euphonic. The change in the bass was impressive. Bass extension is deeper, faster, and has a whole lot more authority and weight. When listening to cee dees it was like I had added a subwoofer to the system. This tube combination has made a fundamental change in the character of this amp. It does not have the standrard "cary house sound" any longer. Actually it sounds closer to the Audio Art Jota in terms of tonal balance and transparency, then anything else I can remember hearing. Is it as good as a jota....I dont think so, but still a very credible inexpensive amp. As a note to others looking for tube resources, I got these tubes from Classic Valves down in Florida. And David was great to deal with. Reasonable, patient, and prompt. He offered good service, and moderate prices to boot. He is on my preferred provider list after this deal. Anyways these tubes have gotten me to 95% of my goal. What needs to be improved? The treble is a bit bright. Dont know yet if it is the sylvanias, or a tube inside the pre amp that needs to be swapped. The tube that is suspect is a GE 5687. If anyone has any insights into this tube type let me know.

Regards
Mister Pig

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Tube Rolling In th AES SE-811....the Sylvania Story - Mister Pig 08:30:39 04/29/00 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.