Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: (strong)REVIEW: Tube Audio Lab WE91 300B Monoblocks Amplifier (Tube)(/strong)

Great review, Paul! Very nicely written, especially when it's in my favor. I do like the WE91A design. It definitely has a very distinct sound (interesting and old), partially thanks to the pentode driver and 2:1 plate to screen grid suppressor voltage ratio. It is an acquired taste for some. I'd liken it unto finely aged Kimchi. Some hate it, some love it.

If any of you are going to build a WE91A with the 6C6, I'd suggest extra caution be taken about the value of caps used for the screen grid (suppressor) of the 6C6. To get more refined bass, I'd recommend 2uF - 2.8uF oil caps. Anything outside this range or different material of caps will give you a slight upper midrage glare that nobody wants.

AN makes some great amps, but I am not too sure about their dogmatic approach to detailed-oriented sound. Most of SE amps that I have seen by them have a driver in SRPP stage using high mu tubes. Sure it brings out more details, but it seems to lack musicality and warmth. That's just my 2 cents.

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.