Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Re: coupling caps ( SET amp) ??

I've heard the same effect a number of times. Since I repair/mod other peoples equipment, I have replaced coupling caps in dozens of amps and preamps. I get the chance to hear a variety of caps also. Some caps are pretty good right away, others make high end equipment sound like AM radio. It also depends on the equipment and circuit whether one cap will work, or needs longer break in.
Mundorf's for example take a minimum of 50 hrs to sound good and at least 100 hrs to really come to life. Could be one reason some people dislike them. PIO caps on the other hand, can actually get worse after break in and sound dull and lifeless. The strangest one's are Teflon caps. Such as the V-Cap. They sound bad every time you turn on the equipment for at least 30 minutes and then start to sound good. This behaviour seems to go on for about 200 hrs then settles down. Overall I'm not a fan.
The most consistent caps I've used, based on feedback from my customers have been the M-Cap Supreme by Mundorf, the Auricap and the Hovland Musicap.
I recently tried some of those Russian PIO caps in a push-pull tube amp. Lifeless is the most polite thing I have to say. However they have been in only about 8 hours. I'll let my customer decide if he likes them. Afterall he's the only one that counts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Re: coupling caps ( SET amp) ?? - JoKath 15:45:44 01/19/08 (1)
    • Teflons - Jon L 09:36:20 01/22/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.