Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: ?????

I lived with Cary 300B SE monoblocks for a couple of years before moving "down" to Wright 3.5 2a3 monoblocks (which are far superior amplifiers). My Carys were an earlier design, used the 6SL7 driver, and were probably manufactured in 1994 or 1995. They were very tube sensitive -- changing the output, driver, or rectifier tube had a substantial impact on the sound. They had a wonderful midrange magic that was not otherwise available at the time -- at least I had never heard a ss or a pp tube amp that came even close.

My strong impression is that Cary, more than any other manufacturer, popularized the niche market of single ended direct heated triode amps -- and for that we are almost all indebted. It was risky putting a $3,000 price tag on a pair of amps that measured 12 watts per channel when there were so few compatable speakers. Dennis H. designed and manufactured a "breakthrough" product (even if it's design was effectively 60 years old), convinced enough people to buy that a new market was created, made some good coin, and for his efforts we are all the richer.

I don't "know" if the newer Cary SE amps are better, I havn't heard them. I would presume that they have improved their designs, parts, and implementation -- market competition tends to be an effective motivator.

Context is important.

WTS

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: ????? - Willie the Squid 16:42:47 04/16/00 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.