Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re: You'll get some sound, but nothing you want to hear.

Hi,

me not an expert too. I doubt the Virgo will give good justice and performance to the puny power SETs despite that it being an exceptionally good speaker without a doubt for higher power amp.

I have a PP tube and bang them on a 3-way conventional speakers (wharfedale CRS 9 ). It sounded just fine. But when I tried the speakers ( 89db/W ) with EL84 SETs. It sounds very bad. lifeless and dull.

Then, recently I build the single driver Fostex FE167E with Bob Brines design and the result are just stunning. It do justice to the SETs and the PP sounded even more punchy now. Never knew my PP was that good. The Wharfedale have been given away for free!

I think you need a better sentivity speaker if you wish to go the SET path... otherwise PP that you are having should do the justice.

On another thought.. why would one wants to break the frequency spectrum that have been amplified with the SET into 3 segment ( 3 way speaker system) and then reconverge the sound into one piece receiver (our ears).... IMHO, single source driver is the best means to enjoy the vocals, mid-piece jazz and acoustic music, I used to have doubt but after built one myself, I cannot deny them. I am planning to build my 2A3 now... then again, I could be dead wrong in this thought!

I think you need to fix the speaker first... then the rest down.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.