Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Advise needed please from the SET experts regarding Audio Physic Virgo III

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of SETs and I think that is the direction that I would like to go....if the Virgos can be driven by them? I have a VAC pp which I love, but I would like to go the way of a SET! In the Sept. issue of Stereophile JA ran the measurements and here are a few as follows. After reading those measurements if I could get some advise from you experts that would help greatly! If the Virgos prove to be a match for a SET, I was considering the new Cary 805 Anniversary Edition amps, but I would appreciate any and all recomendations! The Virgos are a three way speaker with a first order crossover rated at 4 ohms. Recommended power is 25-150 watts. I listen to duos, trios and some classical. Now for the measurements.....The Virgos measured in at 89.2dB(B)/2.83V/m however, it's impedance plot of magnitude and electrical phase against frequency reveals it to be a moderately demanding load. The speaker features a minimum impedance of 3.5 ohms at 572Hz, but the combination of 5.5 ohms and -42 degrees at 78Hz might stress a low powered amp? Please visit the Sept. issue for the full review and measurements to get the full story before responding if you like. I really hope I get some good news regarding this issue as I dearly love these speakers...in fact, I am on my second pair! Thanks in advance for all your feedback!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Advise needed please from the SET experts regarding Audio Physic Virgo III - Balekan 12:26:07 09/21/03 (13)

You can not post to an archived thread.