Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I don't want to go down that route as the ultimate solution

There are firms who make everything - Rega, Naim, Linn spring to mind and it seems to be a more British or European approach. Of course, there's always the glut of mainstream mini and micro "hifi" bundles.

My problem is that if that is the only option, you're limited to choosing a house sound. You can't "mix and match", and you could well end up with problems when one component develops a fault and can't be repaired if things have progressed to the point where you can only buy a package.

I'd rather be able to play around and choose individual components. Yes, it is more work with more possibility of error, but I'm not limited to someone else's idea of what a system should sound like, or their ideas of what works best with something. If I'm prepared to put the effort in, and run the risk of making mistakes along the way, I can assemble a system that sounds the way I want it to sound and I can play with and tweak that sound over time. Not only is that part of the fun and part of the hobby for me, the sound I get will be slightly different from the sound anyone else gets. While difference for the sake of difference is of no value whatsoever, those differences add to my enjoyment if they support those aspects of sound and music which are of value to me.

It's fine for manufacturers to offer all the options, and I have no problems with individuals choosing to buy their systems that way, so long as we don't lose the option of assembling our own systems from individual components and as long as the range of individual components remains large enough and of high enough quality to ensure that remains a meaningful and viable option.

David Aiken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I don't want to go down that route as the ultimate solution - David Aiken 12:22:28 11/24/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.