Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What kind of cartridge, Pat?

I have a Grace F9E.

The Quad preamp is spec'd for a phono input impedance of 47K, with a choice of adding in 180 pF capacitance, which would be in addition to whatever the phono cables had. The extra capacitance introduces a roll off in the FR, about 5-6 dB at 16K if I recall, which generally sounds way too dark. In any case, the phono cable I tapped on is on the outside the TT, a Denon DP-60L, which Dougman says is fine, BWT. If I tap the cartridge or tone arm, of course I can hear something.

Now, if I had a low output moving coil, which requires more gain, perhaps I would hear something. Quad used to have different input modules available for moving coils, and they may still be available.

2.2 meg? Gee, my Radio input is only 1 meg; CD input .5 meg; the rest are about 100,000 ohms (varies somewhat with the input sensitivity, which is adjustable). I really don't know anything about the availability of ceramic cartridges or replacement needles.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.