Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: The Importance of Audio Measurements

Everything I've seen indicates Rowland equipment is very fine.

"The measurement criteria usually involve flat frequency response, insignificant static and dynamic nonlinearities, high input impedances, low output impedances, low noise and crosstalk levels, etc."

I notice from the Rowland site that the specifications and reviews indicate excellent performance in those respects, and that the amplifiers can deliver substantial power into low impedance loads, too.

Well, one thing we agree on is that many of the usual measurements of electronics don't tell us much useful for choosing between them. Many of the measurements are so good that they do not indicate an audible difference in normal operation. It is always possible that something else may cause an audible difference, but I would like to some some good evidence.

No question either that electronics should filter out hum and RF from the power lines. I think most good equipment does.

As to the multi-tone measurements and cable microphonics, it would be nice to see some quantified results, and of course, DBTs. But you already know that. I have no objection to choosing equipment because it does well on such measurements or others, BWT. My equipment is overkill in many respects. But it would be nice to establish whether the difference is audible under normal circumstances.

I would point out that Rowland does seek to correlate measurements with sonic characteristics. Does that make him an objectivist in principle?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.