Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: The Importance of Audio Measurements

Phil ,I hope as a groupie you don't shave your head , run around banging on a tamborine, chanting to JR dressed in a white robe !
------

Article
Another overlooked area of testing is evaluation of the DUT in a radio frequency interference (RFI) environment. Thorough testing and analysis of RFI, immunity in audio equipment is increasingly important due to the proliferation of telecommunication devices and computers throughout the world. This testing involves injecting minute amounts of continuous or multitone RF signals into the input, output, AC mains, and chassis of the DUT. The output of the DUT is analyzed much the same as above. Poorly designed equipment which under common lab tests can measure fine, will escape this particular scrutiny.
---------------------
I think this is rather important as in my neck of the woods and in large urban area's AC Line Voltages and outside influences(RFI) can alter sound playback.
One solution I have been looking at are Voltage Stabilizer's.They are expensive ,but I believe worth it.I would expect that most quality Cos. do check their chasis and Input\Outputs for RFI.
http://www.exactpower.com/index.php
http://www.electrogard.com/stabilizers.htm
================================
Audio hardware and interconnect cables are sensitive to mechanical vibration (microphonics). Sound energy, transferred through structural and air mediums, can significantly impact the performance of all audio equipment in many domestic environments. Again, equipment sensitivity to this condition is rarely tested in manufacturing or considered during the design process.
------
"AGAIN"-The article points out relative things that have to do with interference which never totally can be overcome as is mentioned,but knowing the inherent problems is a start on how audiophiles can protect their investments and minmise the problems should be addressed.Nothing in the article is really new ,but it could be a challange to Manfs. to study the problem which could improve equiptment that is put out to an unknowing public which is good.

When identifying the problem in my own system I came accross this thread that helped me understand the issues mentioned,but not from a measurement standpoint.It is intresting to read some of the experiences,solutions and theories.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&986177686&openflup&1&4#1

===================
Many well-meaning critics hold that so far as an audio component measures "perfect" in certain areas, the audio component will not have a "sound of its own," and it will be indistinguishable from a component with similar measurements. The measurement criteria usually involve flat frequency response, insignificant static and dynamic nonlinearities, high input impedances, low output impedances, low noise and crosstalk levels, etc. Yet these common notions fail to uncover the actual performance potentials of complete audio systems.
---
I tried to state this over at AR in relation to Amps .We won't go there though.I was shot down by MTRY and gang for the belief.Ridiculous!
Is this not Synergy also.If a part of the chain is weak the whole of the system will suffer which means the sound will suffer.Hard to explain that.Like the end result is no greater than the weakest link and no specs can determine what that outcome will be when building a system.Measurements are therefore meaningless when attempting to get the correct synergy. Same as with Cables.Some will do great than outhers will suffer and not have the desired effect.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.