Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: The Importance of Audio Measurements

I don't find anything particularly exciting about that article. It seems like a designer mulling over how new technology will affect his future audio testing.

What I did find interesting was his alluding to the achievement of a flat frequency response. Perhaps with new testing, it will be possible to achieve a very flat response over the entire spectrum and over all power levels with appropriate dynamic capabilities. This would seem to point to transparent or neutral amplification. It is curious as to how designers will try to make amps in the future sound different if they are tested to such a degree that they all have common performance. In other words, it may be true now that two measured systems will actually sound different, but as Jeff has suggested, that may be the result of insuffient comparitive measurements.

I personally see us heading to a point in time where the only factors in the effect on sound will be be the various speaker designs, room acoustics and the source material itself. Everything from source to speaker will be transparent.

Wouldn't it be great to discuss how one drummer's snare sounds different that another's rather that how one guy's speaker wire sound different than anothers. If we all have transparent reference systems, we can resort to actually discussing the sound of the music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.