Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Physics Lesson

Recently, I angered someone with my answer to a thread. Not unusual, but I reread the OP and saw something I missed on first pass.
OP was concerned, apparentlly with conductor resistance in rsisitors. And had settled on an alloy of copper called Manganin. This is interesting stuff when I looked into it.
It has a VERY low temp coefficient which means the resistance change is very very low as temp increases....as it may when heated as by internal resistance or even external forces.

As it turns out, this change in resistance is one of the problems with dynamic drivers. As they heat up, resistance increases which causes MORE heating. This can have one of 2 results. Either the driver CAN burn up.....if temp exceeds insulation temp OR the characteristics of the driver change enough to cause audible.....problems or differences.....compared to the 'cold' driver.
Of course, at some point in adding heat, the radiation from the driver may balance out and the temp stabalize. Drivers which 'pump' the voice coil may be configured in such a way as to push air thru the coil for cooling. And some use Ferofluid to help transmit such heat away and radiate it away.
It may even be possible to VOICE a speaker to sound best when 'hot'......say after 30 minutes use at a given power / output level. But I've never seen reference to THAT, either.

I'm sure the the inside of a speaker enclosure can get pretty warm when pressed. I'd like to know more about this but have never seen any data.

The article I link is worth a glance for those who DIY speakers. Or who have an interest in this sort of physics based material.

There ARE a few materials with NEGATIVE temp coefficients. But I don't think they make wires out of any of 'em......Maybe one day Graphene or some really exotic material may qualify.....
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Physics Lesson - pictureguy 11:30:17 10/04/20 (32)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.