Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: SWR

I love when Amateur radio creeps into technical forums not related to hams. Been an amateur Extra for a few years now (W2WDX). I operate FlexRadio for the quick and dirty, but also have vintage gear. I operate a lot on AM mode, mostly on 75m at 225W carrier. I just like the way it sounds. Being an audio engineer by profession I just gravitated towards AM. But for DX I use SSB ... of course.

That Yaesu is a fine little radio. Good to start out with as a Technician. I have the VX-8 which is nice little radio to have around when I need something very portable.

As far as SWR on digital audio cable ... not a concern at all. If it's made for a specific protocol type that is (AES/EBU, Toslink, HDMI, etc.). What is of concern are losses over distance; and there are specific protocols for each type of digital audio (and video) transmission, based on digital clock rates, to deal with those losses. Digital either works or it doesn't. A better built digital audio cable means it's more likely to work reliably, not sound any different. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something or doesn't understand the technology ... or just drank all the Kool-aid.

Edits: 06/25/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SWR - jrlaudio 19:44:34 06/25/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.