Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: A human can never match performance that closely.

Then use a player piano :-) The point is to try to see what are the main differnces between a recorded instrument sound, and a real instrumnet sound. The primary recording environment should add nothing to the recorded instrumnent sound, The space cues should only come from the secondary recording space. It may be more realistic to record in mono.

I can not prove it but i think the primary sound of an instrument has a lot to do with the interaction of the instrument with the sorounding space. Recording it in the anechoic chamber would remove the interaction. PLaying it back will not add back the interaction, while playing the instrument in the same space would interact with the space. using the secondary recording would enable the use of subtraction if one could guarantee that both passages were identical.

The question i seek an answer for is a simple one. Why can one tell if one listens to a recorded sound, voice or instrument, without looking twice? If audio memory is as bad as people want to make it out to be, how come 90 out of 100 will identify the recorded sound in one try?

BTW the second recording is just to make the whole thing easier to repeat, and to be able to give both samples to a large number of people. let them listen to it, the only thing they have to do is to answer the question about which recording is the recording of the real instrumnet in the listening space :)
dee
;-D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.