Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Beware of Experts

My belief is that certain areas of science have been corrupted by money. Most of this money is coming from government, some from large industry. The peer review process is broken and cliques review each other's papers. The problem is by no means confined to Climate Science. Occasionally, there are researchers who are caught with perpetrating blatent frauds. The Universities are no longer independent bastions of knowledge, as they get most of their research money from government or industry. Finally, government and large corporations are in bed with each other, as anyone who has followed the financial bail out can tell. There is a name for this system: fascism. Because of this corruption, it behooves one with the abilities to do one's own investigation. However, if one discovers something wrong, one has to keep one's mouth shut or be prepared to experience lots of difficulties.

BTW, I worked for a few years doing scientific programming in support of scientists at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in the mid 60's. It was clear then that some of the scientists didn't appreciate the problems with computer simulations, e.g. were interpreting printouts that were nothing more than accumulated round off error. I moved into computer systems and communications and did research and development in computer network protocols. There we made extensive use of simulation and took care to validate our simulations against physical devices which we constructed and measured. We became quite familiar with many ways of distorting results, as business competitors did their simulations of competing designs and some of these researchers were notorious for distorted presentations, particularly deceptive graphic charts.

There is an inherent conflict of interest in any researcher who is earning his living doing research. He must please his employer, i.e. the one paying the bills. As much as one tries, it is very hard to escape from this conflict completely. This is why one sees most dissent coming from retired persons whose livelihood is no longer at stake. In previous centuries, scientific research, by and large, was not nearly as corrupted.

If you want to dismiss these observations as "conspiracy theory" feel free to do so. I call it as I see it.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.