Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Beware of Experts

You put the word "scientist" in quotes. Do you believe that the world's universities are granting PhD's to poseurs, and that universities and organizations like NASA are staffed with fakes? And whose predictions do you expect me to believe, your prediction of a new ice age or the prediction of working, credentialed climate scientists with access to sophisticated computer models?

You suggest that warming is minor. In fact, it looks like 2010 will be tied for hottest year in the historical record:

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/2010-tied-so-far-for-warmest-on-record/?hp

Here's another article on Aspen die-offs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/science/19aspen.html?src=dayp

A few weeks ago, it was coral reefs. If they die, the reef fish will die, and people in tropical countries who depend on them will go hungry.

One can't go very long without reading news like this. We face -- are already experiencing -- an environmental calamity, and this is just the beginning, because the greenhouse gases we pour into the atmosphere now will remain there for years. Warming is a delayed phenomenon.

You say before acting a sensible person would make sure that all the claims are sound. How exactly would that sensible person do that? By listening to talk radio hosts? Because scientists working in the field say, almost to a man and woman, that the claims are sound, and honestly, I don't know of anybody who is equipped to dispute them.

Meanwhile, we're living in the test tube here. We're performing the experiment on ourselves. The results are already pretty startling obvious -- vanishing glaciers, an open northwest passage, a high incidence of freak weather, the beginnings of vast die-offs.

And all for what? Despite what the corporate shills claim, doing something about warming wouldn't have much effect on our way of life, or our wallets.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.