Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Until everyone agrees on what an objective value is

"You can also say that the Manley Stingray presents an absolutely lifelike transparency and accurate reflection of the recording: well, you're stating a subjective interpretation at that point."

-- We'll have to disagree on that point. "accurate reflection of the recording" is not a subjective interpretation in my view, it is saying that the Manley Stingray puts out exactly what goes into it, with gain. And as I just told you in the other thread, that is also exactly what "transparency" means in this context. "Absolutely lifelike?" You got me there. That one is pretty subjective, and extremely vague.

Say it is lovely, warm, smooth..use any purely subjective term you choose that implies no more than that you like the sound, and I'll just congratulate you on enjoying the music. The problem, as I see it, is when audiophile manufacturers, and audiophiles, use quasi objective language in the description of purely subjective attributes. And it is the rule, not the exception. Is it terribly serious? Nope. But it gives us something to talk about.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.