Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: There Is a Company that Follows Your Ideals...........

"Because no noise isolation method is unequivocally the best, and what might work best with a component in one system might not be so ideal with that same component in another system."

Either the component is isolated from noise or it is not. There's no system compatibility issue here. Depending on one's environment external noise can manifest itself in a multitude of fashions and that would be the difficulty - but even then any and all efforts on the part of the component designer to reduce it from creeping in would overall decrease the need for the audiophile to have to spend additional dollars on power cords and/or conditioners.

What's wrong with having a choice?

Because I've got better things to do than to have to try a whole bunch of power cords and/or line conditioners in order to get the quality of sound I expect from a high fidelity product. I'ld much rather select components already immune to my environment than have to mess with getting stuff to work as expected after the purchase.

IMO the right purchase is the one that doesn't benefit from power cords or power conditions. Certainly one can chose to purchase a component that requires such upgrades but I would hope they realize that's needed because the manufacturer failed to implement such isolation in his design. Not because the component itself is so much more resolving than competitors than don't benefit as much by such expenditures.

"Or to state it a different way, there is no "one size fits all" approach to line power conditioning. Each system in each environment poses unique challenges."

You can state it however you want but the more effort the component designer puts into it the less likely the buyer of such component will need to buy new cords or a power line conditioner.

"Why force someone into a permanent decision where he can otherwise choose his "isolation"? (Not all line conditioners are for isolation, by the way.)"

This is almost an insane response. Why force anyone to have to choose isolation at all? Like I said the more effort the designer puts into isolating his component from external influences the less likely the consumer will be forced to make these choices.

"You really think one who omits isolation from a PS design would charge the same price?

You're conjuring up a frivolous basis for argument, IMHO......"

He could charge less, the same price or more - especially if the buyer recognizes this lack of isolation as increased resolution.

The problem is elimating noise suppression/rejection as an important designer criteria (ie. relying on an oem to solve it for the consumer) skews the both performance (ie. if someone believes noisy signifies performance/resolution) and price in his favor over the manufacturer would takes serious efforts at eliminating such effects.

"I in most part agree...... But just state it kindly...... Only then might people actually think about it."

Really wouldn't be nice, if like computer systems, such outlets are mostly used because one wants a different length of cord?

"Because the notion that a component should perform at its best without any consideration for adjustment is next to impossible to achieve in reality...... "

I mostly disagree. However I would agree that in many cases power cords or power conditioners might be required to get the "best" out of the presented design. I think our difference is that I think the component should be capable of giving its best out of box in the vast majority of listening environments where it's best will shine. Unfortunately, in the majority of cases, we aren't going to hear the best the component can deliver until we absorbed the additional costs. That's what I find off-putting.

"It might be perfect in a designer's system, but the variables vary too much for each individual."

Isn't that the nature of this hobby? However by designing a well isolated system the component can give it's best in the widest range of systems right out of the box.

"The only company that has successfully manufactured products per your ideals is Bose....... "

On the contrary Todd this is so far off base I can't believe you wrote it.

Seems to me you are the one who is justifying delivering more expensive yet poorer performing components while proclaiming "better sound through technology".

"It's a joke only because you want it to be a joke......."

No it's a joke because its funny.

"Sounds like you hate free speech....... If someone states something erroneous, kindly correct him........ Just calling people "clueless" won't accomplish anything."

Blah, blah, whatever, whatever, and surely you pulled this "you hate free speech" out of that same orifice that you pulled the "Bose" comment above.

"Unfortunately, I don't find what you stated here constructive...... You must first provide the means and ideas so people can "get a clue."

I wish I could say unfortunately I'm disappointed that you don't find my comments constructive. But really I can't say it and mean it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: There Is a Company that Follows Your Ideals........... - Don Till 17:48:11 06/24/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.