Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: "That does not mean there are no differences, but the scale certainly changes. "

If one adopts a "good enough" attitude in selecting individual components there is a real risk that one will end up with a system that is not good enough.

If a difference can not easily pass a rigorous blind test then it is probably not sonically significant. Unfortunately, if one uniformly discounts "insignificant" differences, then one may end up with a system that contains the sum of many small "insignificant" differences and one may have a system that is significantly degraded. The problem is that "sounds the same" is not a transitive relation. A can sound the same as B and B can sound the same as C, but there may be an obvious difference in sound when comparing A and C.

Perhaps this is one reason why the best sound is found in the homes of deluded crazy "audiophools". The "sounds the same to me" and "theory says it must sound the same" crowd end up with mediocrity.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.