Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

There is a less sinister motive.

And that is with a decent switching power supply (or provision for selecting input voltage) and a detachable power cord one unit can be sold internationally if you can afford to do the safety stuff. Have you ever counted the number of safety symbols on labels these days?

Susceptibility-wise with no standards what do you design to? Meeting CE helps but is not remotely a promise that performance won't be compromised by other components. Susceptibility-wise in CE countries you have at least a little knowledge of the W/C conducted levels, for the US you don't have anything except Part15 radiated, we simply have no required conducted standards. AND the whole mess is complicated by the difficulty of figuring out what figures of merit would be useful to predict user's perception of interference problems.

Isolation-wise I think the situation more straightforward at least you can breakup the in-band ground loop at your end in-band to the degree you wish. Out of band it's harder to know what's required. In every case you can't really guarantee results but can dramatically improve the odds.

I realize that for the sake of argument I've been taking the manufacturer's side just now. Switching gears I think most of them could do better, a lot better.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • There is a less sinister motive. - rick_m 21:20:25 06/17/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.