Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Humm question

In a friends house he has 2 systems. one for the living room and a separately powered kitchen system. I havent been there so I cant give too many details.

Anyhow the kitchen speakers are powered but are feeding off an NAD receiver. Apparently the speakers can accept highlevel signals.

When this was first hooked up, there was hum when the amp was turned off. My buddy called and I had him plug the amp into another outlet. I think it was plugged into the one with the living room system when it was humming. Plugging the amp into another outlet made the hum go away. Problem solved.

BUT the wife had the electrician (not the ones in the post below) come out and put in new plugs as the powered speakers were running off an extension cord. And the new outlet for the amp wasnt in a convenient place. I knew this was happening and tried my best to tell them what to ask for.

However I didnt know about the OTHER stereo for the living room and I think what ended up happening is that all the stereo gear was put on the same circuit....and now it hums again when the Nad amp is off.

What can they tell the electrician so he/she can fix this??

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Humm question - Dawnrazor 00:23:55 04/22/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.