Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: The Scientific Method

The thing that baffles me about the extreme objectivist viewpoint is when it is applied on the hobbiest level (as opposed to the scientific lab level) to the point that some of them seem to be saying that even if they substituted a high end cable for their Rat Shack cables and perceived a significant improvement, and continued to perceive that improvement on a consistent basis, they still wouldn't consider using that high end cable unless and until it had been scientifically demonstrated that the improvement they are hearing is not due to placebo. At that point, it seems to me that they become as closed minded at the hobbiest level as subjectivists who reject DBTs out of hand are at the scientific level.

Of course, if a hobbiest wants to utilize blind testing at home, I have no problem with that. But I have never heard anyone who claims to have employed blind testing at home say if the differences they thought they were hearing in sighted auditions before the blind test disappeared in sighted auditions following the blind the test. If in fact a person continued under sighted conditions to hear significant differences between a Rat Shack cable and a high end cable after failing to have distinguished them under blind conditions, would they reject the high end cable simply because they had been unable to distinguish it in a blind test? Would they reject it even if under post test auditioning experienced it as making a significant improvement to their enjoyment of their system, simply because they had failed to distinguish it under blind conditions? As I understand the extreme objectivist position, the answer to the last two questions would be an emphatic YES.

To the extent that is truly the position of the extreme objectivists, then I find it very difficult to understand where the "rationality" is in that position.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.