Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Toole and cables

As something that I thought you might find interesting, the following is the only public pronouncement of Dr. Toole I have ever seen regarding cables:

“4. [Interview Question] I believe that many audiophiles would get more from their equipment if they would transfer some of their interest and money for audio cables into acoustics and room adaption, but since audio cables seem to be of such big interest, maybe you could share what you think are the relevant qualities when it comes to loudspeaker cables?

[Dr. Toole's Answer] Cables are very profitable products, and that is the main driving force behind them. At a time when advanced technology has reduced the number of tweaks that audio enthusiasts can play with, it is natural that these products should become topics of conversation. I call the most extreme of them "audio jewellery" (sic) , in that they do nothing for the audio system except make the owner feel better or more proud. Superbly performing audio cables can be purchased for very moderate prices. Even "bad" cables, are not bad enough to be audibly worse than the truly nasty things that some rooms or poorly designed loudspeakers can do.”

http://www.sonicdesign.se//tooleinw.htm

I posted this quote at AR a while back

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/crforum?14@121.XJvoaDskeHK^969828@.ef8fe2f

and suggested that, while Dr. Toole is saying (what even a number of subjectivist also say) that many cables are over priced, he also seems to acknowledge that there can be audible differences between cables He compares "superbly performing audio cables" with "bad" cables.

Moreover, when he mentions "bad" cables, he expressly states that they "are not bad enough to be audibly worse than the truly nasty things that some rooms or poorly designed loudspeakers can do.”

Now everyone seems to agree that room acoustics and poorly designed loudspeakers often are extremely important considerations in the quality of audible sonic differences between systems. So if, in Toole's mind, the sonic effects of "bad" cables are on a par with the audible consequences of room acoustics and poorly designed loudspeakers, he must beleive that the audible sonic differences that can exist between certain cables can be pretty significant, at least based on what that particular quote (which, again, is the only public pronouncement of Toole that I have ever found on the issue of cables) seems to suggest.

The main reason I posted that quote is because two AR regulars had flat-out claimed that Toole had tested cables and concluded that the idea that cables could differ as far as audible sonic differences was non-sense. When I asked for substantiation that he had actually conducted such tests and come to that conclusion, they could not provide any proof of their claim.

If you care to wade through that particular thread, you will see the sorry discussion that ensued. In my opinion, the level of sophistry that was employed to counter my observation regarding the Toole quote puts to shame us mealy-mouthed, two-faced, weasel attorneys (all labels that some of the good, “rational” objectivists at AR have labeled me with) to shame.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.