Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: An attempt to explain

"Postulate: amps with lower distortion sound better"
"Verification: tests with a variety of listeners would be able to statistically verify this at levels of THD of 10% compared to 1%".

You do your test and 70% of listeners prefer 10% THD.

The conclusions could therefore be:

1. Listeners prefer distortion.
2. Listeners prefer 10% distortion when listening through the test system which is obviously imperfect.
3. Distortion enhances the listening experience.
4. The source benefits from distortion.
5. The speakers benefit from distortion.
6. The room benefits from distortion.
7. The test is flawed as it is illogical for listeners to prefer more distortion.
8. A majority of listeners have no internal reference for what 'live' music sounds like and cannot accurately judge how close a reproduction is to the reference of 'live'.
9. A majority of listeners are insincere at giving their impressions during tests.
10. You get the general idea?

Although I have no training in the audio field, I do with psychology and feel that the most difficult aspect of coming to concrete conclusions is that of devising tests which cannot be contaminated by variables which make the test results ambiguous and open to differing interpretations reliant on the individual's own experiences/bias.

I suppose the addition of more punctuation wouldn't have gone amiss in the last paragraph but what the hell......

Best Regards,
Chris Redmond.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: An attempt to explain - chris.redmond2@bushinternet.com 06:34:29 11/17/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.