Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Total stuff and nonsense!

Dear JJ

Just curious, but would you happen to know as a rough estimate how many tests have been done that meet a PROPER TEST of SAY SS amplifiers?

The only one that seems to get thrown about on other forums is the great 1980 Tandberg amp...which was described to me by a forumer "As inaudible from ALL aother SS amps," which I take to mean all working properly SS amps must in turn sound the same if the Tanberg is the same. Kind of if A=B and B=C then A=C logic.

I personally hope that differences don't exist audibly with most non tube, loudspeaker, turntable gear. Those 300 disc changers are quite accomodating and cheaper than the High end single disc players.

Personally, I hate weasal words being used...like MAY offer, or red meat MAY cause, or there is a POSSIBILITY that...X will cause Y etc.

My psych courses are where my high number of trials came in studying those claiming Extra Sensory Perception. Since other forumers linked believing in audible differences among SS amps and CD players to believing in ESP then I used the ESP high trial requirement. In a proper test where far more variables can be accounted for then the trials could be drastically cut.

Where the frustration sets in is when you see magazines like the Sensible Sound claim that an RCA is indistinguishable from cd players coosting thousands in their home brew DBT. And I say OK, but let me try it...WHAT were the other cd players so that I may listen? But they don't list them. And That is puzzling.

And then why would RCA not use it as a HUGE advertising campaign. RCA $89.00 model X is as good, AUDIBLY, as Linn Sondek CD12(you know the ridiculous 20+k CD player). I mean if I were RCA management I would be all over it.

I think a lot of people would rather put the money into speakers - I know I would...but there is a lot of misinformation I presume is out there. Yet access to AES documents etc is costly and generally hard to find for average Joe consumer? Why?

Frustrated in Vancouver

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Total stuff and nonsense! - RGA 14:21:54 11/16/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.