Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

An attempt to explain

<< What do you mean by "postulates supported by scientific method"? >>

Postulate: amps with lower distortion sound better
Verification: tests with a variety of listeners would be able to statistically verify this at levels of THD of 10% compared to 1%

Postulate: amps should have distortion less than 0.1% THD to be able to produce music more realistically
Verification: tests with an audience of audiophiles would soon verify this BUT if a random sample of the population was chosen there might not be a statistically verifiable result.

So, if one adopts a strict scientific approach one would not regard the postulate as having been shown to be true.
Consequent arguments about desirable levels of distortion would then be inadmissable.

But clearly the individual subjective reaction is different for different individuals so results will vary according to the individuals involved. So is it valid to proceed with arguments about levels of distortion if only some individuals can detect them?

I guess what I am trying (perhaps unsucessfully) to say is that many arguments in the field of audio are so riddled with varying perceptions that "logical" argument is difficult if not impossible.

On a mathematical level Euclidean Geometry is built upon one set of hypotheses but a different set yields an entirely different set of results.

Perhaps it is irrelevent to compare the mantra many hold about aspects of audio to that of mathematics but IMO a similar situation prevails. The basis of many audio arguments are often the result of the perceptions of person "A" (= basic postulates for "A"). To "A" the argument is valid as he/she is satisfied with the postulates forming the foundation of the argument. However "B" might have different perceptions to "A" of the same situation so they argue at cross purposes. Neither is right or wrong. It is just the foundations of their arguments differ so, logically, the results will differ.

Bottom line is that in dealing with some (but not all) subjective perceptions which vary, scientific method has little application. Thus arguments about tube vs SS etc are just that - arguments, with no hope of resolution because of differing subjective reactions, expectations etc. The logical conclusion is therefore to avoid such argument. Not sure I can scientifically verify that conclusion!!

So David, I think we are in general agreement. Human observation varies and is often not scientifically verifiable, particularly in audio. However I'm not sure about how much "Preference" and "Perception" can be delineated. Again it depends upon the individual and how heavily is a prejudice towards something. Many can justify a prejudice by their perception but this only justifies the prejudice to that person. Another's perception can result in an entirely different conclusion.

Maybe this discussion illustrates the point all too clearly. Each of us have a different perception of what is meant by a word or phrase -> pointless disagreement because of the different interpretations of what is said.

This is getting too deep. Time to pull out!!

John

Peace at AA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.