Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Euphonic Compression

Hi, TC:

Thanks for the info on magnet wire, I'll get some and check it out this week . ...

I'm using DHT's now, PX25 and 300B SET amps, along with a Technics 100 wpc AV receiver (to check compatibility with SS mid-fi amps), Hafler 9505 200 watt mosfet, Shearne Audio 100 wpc dual-mono amp, and I'm hearing similar glare on all of these on maybe 1-2% of loudest transient peaks on my prototype high-efficiency speakers. I don't hear glare on less efficient commercial speakers being used for comparisons, Aerial Acoustic 10T's, various Reynaud models, various Westlake models, Heybrook 2000 series. I also don't hear the glare on various Loth-X high-efficiency models, Ion 1, Ion 2, Ion 3, and Ion 4.

I don't hear any glare or harsh peaks on any of the woofers I'm using, i.e., Eminence Alpha 6, Alpha 8, Beta 8, Beta 8cx, Beta 10cx, PHL 1240, 2460, 3451, and 3020.

The HF units I am using are Peerless dome tweeter with 1" waveguid (forget which model), Eminence APT 50 phenolic compression driver, Morel HD 37, and Raven 1 and 2 ribbon tweeters. I'm using first order xo's on on all but the Ravens, which have 3rd order (to provide steep enough slope per operating specs).

If I don't crank up the volume quite as loud as my preferred level, I don't hear the glare, only when I crank it up to realistic SPL's so that the woofer output is at what I feel is realistic levels . . .

Could it be that the tweeters are just too efficient relative to the woofers, that I need to add an l-pad or resistive attenuation on the tweeters? I'm going to try out some zener diodes to limit the loudest transient peaks to see if this resolves the tweeter glare, I don't know what the effect will be on overall sound quality with the zeners, I've never used them before . . .

Best regards, rdb :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.