Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What do you conclude if DBT results show even a big random sample hears no difference?

Norm:

You raise some very interesting questions. Unfortunately, I don't feel competent to discuss all of the ins and outs, and nuances, of scientifically blind testing to respond to your comparisons between audio DBTs and cars and wine tasting, nothwithstanding the fact that I, myself, used wine tasting as an analagous situation. The best I can say is that it seems to me the questions you are raising relating to wine and cars go primarily to the issue of preferance, whereas I'm suggesting that DBTs, at least at this point, be limited to testing claims of those of us who report hearing differences between cables. In other words, it seems to me that at this point DBTs first need to be used to demonstate that it is possible that actual sonic differences can, at least in one circumstance, be detected.

I'm not convinced that has ever been established under valid scientific test conditions. On the other side of the coin, I'm not convinced that cable DBTs which some objectiists refer to as having produced null results were run under valid scientific protocol and subjected to statistical analysis that would properly establish a reasonable confidence level with respect to the raw data results of such tests.

Finally, I would say that if the electrical measurement show no difference that would be strong support for the "naysayer" position. My guess is that some electrical differences will be shown (probably already have been shown), but that will still leave both sides free to carry on the battle unabatted, because the "yeasayers" will argue that this is proof differences exist, and the "naysayers" will argue (properly, in my opinion) that until those differences can be demonstrated, to a reasonable scientific certainty, to be responsible for actual, audible sonic differences, those measurements are largely irrelevant to the question at hand - that being is it possible for two cables of similar gauge and length to produce actual, audible sonic differences when switched in and out of a system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What do you conclude if DBT results show even a big random sample hears no difference? - Phil Tower 08:28:22 11/13/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.