Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Driver compression

##The line of speakers I'm developing is designed to be used with low-powered SET amps from 1.5 - 10 watts, although they will handle upwards of 100 watts rms. With the low wattage of SET's, will there still be heat-related compression? ##

That would be driver dependent. Some manuf's give the info.

##If so, how do you determine heat-compression compatibility between woofer and tweeter, so that they stay "in-synch", compression-wise?##

I would assume matching compression parameters. Unfortunately, different musical programs will give different power spectra.

##Also, what if there is a whole lot of bass going on, and little up on top, wouldn't this make it very difficult to maintain both drivers in heat-compression synch? ##

Same answer as last...But, I run a mobile rig for hobby/party stuff... Never too much bass. Gotta shake the martini's without bartender intervention.

I remember some application using light bulbs for compression. Don't remember what app, though. Light bulbs have about a ten to one resistance ratio from cold to hot. In series with a speaker, they'll be low resistance for low levels, and at high levels, will warm up and increase resistance. By playing with different wattage/voltage bulbs, you could conceivably tailor the "compression" in this fashion.

Keep this in mind: I run 300w/per channel for subs, my light rail attaches to the sub cabinets. When I run "hot", the 120 volt, 300 watt bulbs tend to blow out; they don't like vibration. I had to design an isolation mount for the lighting effects fixture. The 12 volt bulbs, with thicker filaments, didn't show that sensitivity.

TTFN, John

PS. IF you patent something using this, I want credit too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Driver compression - John Escallier 21:25:51 11/12/02 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.